Low Budget Sewing Room re-do

• low budget sewing room

Low Budget Sewing Room Re-Do @ Serger Pepper

I’m right in the middle of a big project: I’m moving (after my Blogger to WP moving … for FREE) also from my little sewing room to a new and bigger one: that means new cutting table, new fabric stash storage, new place for all those pre-loved clothes waiting to be refashioned. And I’m doing it, as usually, my way: spending no money… or nearly!

italian version

Here’s my Pinterest board where I’m collecting ideas (as usual there are mostly useful ideas than simply Eye Candy!) about

sewing room re-do

I need help! Could you please suggest me how to fold and keep organized pre-loved clothes? I see all those sewing rooms full of fat quarters perfectly aligned on the shelves, in rainbow order but no one shows how to collect old clothes without your stash looking like a post nuclear landscape (like is now, in fact!)

I’m thinking about boxes (maybe cardoard coated with fabric?) to be put on shelves… so they can hide inside all the mess!

Any suggestions?

How do you organize your sewing room?

And don’t tell me you’re not hoarding clothes/fabric “just-in-case”, or I’ll feel lonely and diseased XD

facebookicon twittericon pinteresticon googleplus	icon bloglovin Flickr Instagram Rss

italian version

Sto qui, nel mezzo di un enorme progetto: sto traslocando (dopo il mio trasloco virtuale da Blogger a WordPress… GRATIS!) anche la mia stanza del cucito da quella piccolina doive sto ora ad una più grande: questo significa nuovo tavolo per il taglio, nuovi scaffali per i tessuti, un nuovo posto per tutti i vestiti usati in attesa di refashion. E lo sto facendo, come sempre, a modo mio: senza spendere nulla… o quasi!
Questa è la mia bacheca di Pinterest dove sto raccogliendo le idee (come al solito idee principalmente utili, non solo belline!) riguardo

la nuova stanza del cucito

Mi serve una mano! Mi suggeriresti come fare a piegare e mantenere ordinati tutti i vestiti usati che raccolgo? Vedo tutte queste stanze del cucito piene di stoffine colorate perfettamente allineate sugli scaffali in perfetta scala cromatica, ma nessuno che mostri come disporre i vestiti usati in modo che la scaffalatura non sia pressochè uguale ad uno scenario post-atomico (come in effetti è ora!)
Sto pensando a scatole di cartone (magari ricoperte di stoffa?) da appoggiare sugli scaffali… così possono nascondere all’interno il casino!

Suggerimenti?

Tu come hai organizzatto la tua stanza del cucito?

E non mi dire che non accumuli anche tu stoffe/vestiti così, tanto per, o mi farai sentire sola e disadattata XD

1. Pam @Threading My Way October 28, 2013 at 22:17 - Reply

Oooh, lucky girl to have more room!!! I store my pre-loved clothes in big plastic cubes… like a thick plastic bag with a zip on the top. The top is see through plastic and I stack them two high, under my computer desk, sandwiched between two filing cabinets.

• Mamma Nene October 28, 2013 at 23:27 - Reply

Yes, Pam, I feel lucky! And I didn’t ask for it, was hubby to suggest it <3
      I love your idea, must create some 😉 You know… I’m a *poor* lucky girl, so everything is handmade here, we don’t buy anything LOL
      I think the squared shape is ideal and the see-through top is the cherry on top!
      Thank you SO much!

2. Diane @ Vintage Zest October 29, 2013 at 03:28 - Reply

Hi! So exciting for you!

I organize and fold my fabric like this:
    I fold my clothing with the help of this:
    Then, I put it into boxes like the ones in my closet:

Maybe these will be of a little help? 🙂

3. Amy Mayenmayendesigns October 29, 2013 at 04:38 - Reply

I keep all my refashion someday pile in a cabinet, so nobody can see my nuclear pile of mess. I think your pretty boxes sound nice. I need to have several mending & refashioning days to destash!

• Mamma Nene October 29, 2013 at 07:51 - Reply

I don’t know why who doesn’t refashion think it’s rummage… I see every scrap of fabric as an appliquè-to-be, the ear of a cat hat and so on… I can never throw out anything!
      I should try to find a cabinet, definitely the simplest solution… or I’ll fold as Diane does and then hide inside handmade boxes…

• kukafera October 29, 2013 at 12:56 - Reply

I’m like you! I keep everything!! I have all my stuff inside a closet too: in boxes and stashed. If you can’t have a cabinet or so I would definitely try with boxes!!
        How lucky you are having your own space!!

• Mamma Nene October 29, 2013 at 17:33 - Reply

You make me feel better, I’m not the only one LOL
          Today I found myself thinking of use mason jars (in Italy we have Bormioli) to keep interfacing scraps and selvedges, to be used as stay tape :-X
          I feel lucky to be able to have this space, after years of kitchen table sewing half an hours a time and spending ages to pull in and out everything! Thanks for your sweet words <3
          MammaNene @ SergerPepper

4. Rachel October 29, 2013 at 10:12 - Reply

Can’t wait to see your new space, I dream of having a sewing room. Slows me down having to pack everything away after each sewing session! Maybe a rail to hang clothes on would be easiest to see and not forget about?

• Mamma Nene October 30, 2013 at 10:54 - Reply

Thank you Rachel! I hate when you have to unpack and repack, I’ve done this so many times and often ended not sewing when I had a little time, just to avoid cleaning everything out after it!
      The rail is a great idea… I have to tell to hubby he has new work to do LOL… He’s a plumber, so I bet he already has something in hand to be used as a rail/hanger!!!

5. cucicucicoo October 29, 2013 at 15:27 - Reply

Lonely or diseased!! Haha! You are hilarious! I set up this big aluminum tubing system that we could cut and set up to perfectly fit our space (my sewing room is TINY and doubles as many other things, too) and then I used some containers I already had (plastic ones, old suitcase, etc) and a bunch of those plastic fruit crates that are always hanging out on the street. I organized all my fabrics and refashionables (and scraps!) by type, put them in their own container, labelled them and put them on the structure. Very cheap! For refashionables I made categories like “pants,” “t-shirts,” “long-sleeved shirts,” “sheets and tablecloths” etc. Works great for me! You can see a picture with it in the background in this post. What you can’t see in the picture is that, besides this system, I have containers labelled all over the place (under beds, on top of furniture, etc). My husband is having a hard time keeping his patience with my stash! Ha! 🙂 Lisa

• Mamma Nene October 30, 2013 at 10:45 - Reply

You’re great, Lisa, pinned! I love how you’re recycling everything, just like me! You made me remember that I kept some old wood crates, to be sanded and painted… I should add some felt on the bottom and use it under the shelf hubby is building… I plan to line each shelf with… wool fabric (I have so many)… what do you think?
      I truly need to sord and label everything me too….

6. vickymyerscreations October 31, 2013 at 08:57 - Reply

I am very fortunate too to have a craft room, but piles of clothes ready for upcycling take up lots of room! My husband kindly fitted the cheapest kitchen units we could buy so I have two 1000mm kitchen units and work top – I love having the worktop at that height, it’s not so far for bending down when cutting out:)

• Mamma Nene October 31, 2013 at 18:30 - Reply

Thanks for your visit, Vicky!
      My sweet hubby built me a table at the same height and I feel really comfy with it (I’ll share some photos soon)!
      PS: I love your bags! I’ve sent you an invite to pin in our shared board all refashion related (also inspiration pins counts!) If you’re on G+, I can invite you onto our Refashion Community too, if you like!
      Hugs xox

7. Brenda Melahn November 4, 2013 at 14:57 - Reply

I store all my pre-loved clothes awaiting to become masterpieces in laundry baskets obtained from the Dollar Tree (each cost $1) stored in kitchen cabinets (I have 2 cabinets in my room) — each cabinet holds 3 laundry baskets. I sort according to fabric type. My old Tshirts are in a couple of drawers in a converted dresser.

• Mamma Nene November 4, 2013 at 21:10 - Reply

Thanks Brenda for your help! I have to say that kitchen cabinets would be better called sewing cabinets, judging from how much people uses them for that purpose LOL. Sadly we have no Dollar Tree here in Italy, maybe I should visit one of those Chinese Stores where they sells a lot of plastic things…

8. Jean C. November 9, 2013 at 23:38 - Reply

I do have tons… of fabric (I used to work for one of the National Stores here in the U.S.) but, I also refashion clothes. I have a big plastic 3 drawer set that holds fabric, fabric, oh and clothes. But,if your stash has a lot of t-shirt type clothes I would fold in half sleeve to sleeve, fold the sleeves into the shirt and then roll them up. You can put them in all types of containers this way. If you have plastic file type boxes (square type), you could then poke them in say with the bottom of the container again’st the wall this way use can see what color the items are. It would work for other clothes also. Shirt type hangers; the ones that hold maybe 4-6 shirt by the arm holes are great for hanging light weight shirts. I try to take care of as many refashion items I can so that I can get them out of my sewing room and into a closet or drawer where they belong. Mostly I refashion for myself, so that works for me. If your doing work for others (outside of your family, or for re-sale, I would think you would need some sort of hanging rack/closet to house those sort of items. Good luck! Yep, getting your own sewing room does make it nice for the rest of the house.

• Mamma Nene November 10, 2013 at 11:30 - Reply

OMG, Jean, you were working on Paradise 🙂
      I’ll try your rolling t-shirt method; I’ve never seen t-shirt hangers…will take a look around to see some images…
      Oh, and you’re right, I’ve never thought about it but you’re terue: my house is really breathing now that anything sewing related is moving upstairs!
      A place for everything and everything on its place LOL

9. […] least as I am, plus he is really good at welding steel; when we decided to organize my new Low Budget Sewing Room, he kindly offered himself to build me a huge shelving […]

10. Cathy the Bagg Lady November 16, 2013 at 09:57 - Reply

I understand the need for neatly storing pre-refashioned clothing. I use XXL Zip-Lock bags that I purchase at WalMart. They can be purchased on-line too.I like these and use them like regular sized “baggies”, once I have the item in the bag I roll all the excess air out and then I store them in baskets on the floor of my sewing room, which is really the lowest shelf on my shelving-wall.
    So, I sort the clothing by size/color/fabric/misc. and seal the bag. When they are put into the basket(s) I stand them upright and I place a strip of painter’s tape with the content description on the upper corner near the handle.
    I hope this helps..Ta Ta for now, Cathy the Bagg Lady
    PS: I love the idea of covering shelves with fabric..all you need to do is vacuum them when cleaning.

• Mamma Nene November 17, 2013 at 10:31 - Reply

I love your idea, Cathy! The XXL ziplock bags are genius and so is the painter’s tape! I’ll add it into my project for sure!!!
      And, yes, the idea of fabric on shelves was also about spending less time cleaning too…
      Thanks for sharing <3

11. […] Summer, Organize me! series on GYCT Designs… just in case you missed it! It perfectly fits my Low Budget Sewing Room Series too so, if you’re searching for some frugal suggestions to organize your sewing room (or are […]