How-To: Shortening a zipper in 3 easy steps

SergerPepper Shortening a zipper in 3 easy steps

I was sewing a new dress for LilPotato (PDF pattern to download for FREE !) while I needed to shorten a zipper… I bet most of my readers can do that but I’m sure there’s also someone who still doesn’t know this little helpful frugal tip!

This time I’m not going to fill this post with words, because sometimes an image worth a thousand words!
Question: have you ever found yourself needing a zipper shorter than the perfectly matching by color one you already have? It happens often to me! I have to say that I often buy zippers to restore my stash the longer the better, because I know

How to shortening a zipper in 3 easy steps!

Do you want to learn how? Just take a look to the picture and tell me if it’s not extremely easy!!!
Let me know if you have any doubt, leaving a comment below, as usual!

SergerPepper Shortening a zipper in 3 easy steps

Step 1: measure the desired length
Step 2: stitch by hand the zipper where you want it to stop (bar tack)
Step 3: cut the exceeding zipper
Step 4: admire your perfectly fitting zipper

Would you like to get some free patterns & stuff?

Tags: , |

1. Anne Byerley October 11, 2013 at 12:00 - Reply

Hi,
    I am visiting your blog for the first time from the Friday fun bloghop.
    I love your site and about to follow you.
    I would be very happy if you have the time or the inclination to visit me at http://www.wabyerley.blogspot.com, you would be most welcome.
    I love everything about your blog and will be visiting more often.
    I hope that you have a wonderful day and weekend.
    Great big hug.
    Love and best wishes.
    Anne

• Mamma Nene October 12, 2013 at 18:03 - Reply

Great big hugs yo you, Anne, and thank you for your sweet words <3
      I’m going to visit you now
      MammaNene

2. Jill @ Called To Be A Mom October 11, 2013 at 16:14 - Reply

I am no seamstress. So this was helpful to me. Now I just need a project to do to use such a skill.

• Mamma Nene October 12, 2013 at 17:23 - Reply

Thank you Jill! I’m so happy it can be useful for you… Maybe you could start with a simple project, like a pillowcover?
      Hugs,
      MammaNene

3. Rosey October 13, 2013 at 04:03 - Reply

I didn’t know how to do it until I saw this.

And I was so excited to see you’re a part of the Super Sunday Sync this week, woo hoo!! So happy to have you!!

• Mamma Nene October 13, 2013 at 11:47 - Reply

Thank you Rosey! I’m so happy to be co-hosting this week 🙂 and I’m whishing you a wonderful week

4. Jessica Smith October 14, 2013 at 04:53 - Reply

Wow! I was just thinking about making a too short zip-up dress into a shirt but got stuck at shortening the zipper part. Must be fate I found this 🙂 Thanks! Pinned.

• Mamma Nene October 14, 2013 at 11:33 - Reply

It’s fate indeed, thanks for pinning!
      If you use this tutorial shortening your dress, I’ll be happy to see your pics on SergerPepper’s flickr group board here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sergerpepper/
      Thanks for your lovely comment, Jessica, and have a perfect week <3

5. […] Let’s go on talking about zippers (here you can find how to shorten a zipper)!  […]

6. […] a really simple pinafore, fully lined, with an invisible zipper on back (check here how to shorten a zipper and how to apply it with a standard zipper foot). The stunning detail are those inverted pleats, […]

7. […] here how to shorten a zipper and how to apply it with a standard zipper […]